Ghost Town of Columbus was first established in 1865. Quartz and Silver were mined. When Borax was discovered in1871 the town grew to 1,000 people. It had a school,post office,iron foundry and newspaper among the main street stores.The various mines had imported over 1,000 Chinese workers. The town died in 1885. A few structures are still standing along with a graveyard with 300 cross markers. None of the names are decipherable. The graves have been vandalized either by the relatives of the Chinese digging up the bodies to return to China or by grave robbers that believed the Chinese buried money with the dead.
1 - 25 of 25 (0.001 s)